Tuesday, June 29, 2010

BOTTLE STERILIZERS



My topics keep getting more and more entertaining, but I promise to wrap up the world of bottles with one more post on Bottle drying racks tomorrow. So after talking to numerous doctors, nurses, lactation consultants and reading every baby book known to man, I found out my sister was officially a paranoid bottle sterilizing mother. Apparently you are only supposed to sterilize baby stuff the first time you use it, bottles, pacifiers etc..... After that, hot soapy water does the trick (or a dishwasher - which I personally am opposed to - see post on BOTTLE DRYING RACKS). Sterilizing is not only a waste of time, but it's a waste of money buying a sterilizer. The cheapest microwaveable one goes for about $20 with electric ones going up to $100. For those of you with a tiny NYC apartment, this also means you have to find space for a huge bulky sterilizer that will eat up 2/3 of your counter space. SAVE YOUR MONEY. You can instead buy sterilizing bags. Each bag can be used 20 times before you have to buy a new one. I have no clue what price they are, but all of you preggers friends of mine will each receive one. My sister (because the sterilizer was not enough) stockpiled these things and I have at least one to give each of you. Also if you buy a Medela Pump, one of these handy things will come with your pump or a pump parts kit.

The bag is plastic, folds flat and you simply pour in 2oz of water, microwave according to instructions, and VIOLA ! your stuff is sterilized on the cheap.

2 comments:

  1. wow, i like the idea of a bag! i can't wait to get mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you only had to sterilize once

    ReplyDelete